We love apples. We love apple cider. We love applesauce. There are three kinds of apple flavor in this tender, wholesome cake with warming spices. Take the autumn chill off and serve your loved ones something sweetly spiced and delicious. You can even make this cake gluten-free and/or vegan!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13” baking pan.
- Whisk together: 3 cups whole-wheat flour (or, 3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend + 1 tsp. xanthan gum for gluten-free), 2 cups brown sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp. orange zest, 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1 tsp. ground cardamom, 1 tsp. ground cloves, 1 tsp. ground ginger, 1 tsp. salt, ½ tsp. ground nutmeg.
- In a second bowl, stir together: 1 cup milk (soy, almond, oat, or dairy), 1 cup freshly pressed apple cider, ½ cup applesauce, 1/4 cup safflower oil, 2 TB apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Core and chop 2-3 Honeycrisp, SnowSweet, Cox’s Orange Pippins or other favorite apples into small pieces.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry, and when batter is smooth, add chopped apples. Scrape batter into pan.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 60-75 minutes.