Butternut Apple Soup
1. Heat 1 TB olive oil in a stock pot.
2. Add 2 medium onions, sliced into crescents, and sauté until soft and starting to turn golden.
3. Add 2 medium butternut squashes, peeled, seeded and cut into 1” pieces.
4. Add 2 medium McIntosh apples or other favorite soft cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped.
5. Add 5 cups vegetable broth, 1 TB rubbed sage, 1 tsp salt (or to taste). Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, cooking 20-30 minutes, until squash pieces are soft.
6. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, reduce 1 pint of apple cider by boiling, until ½ - ¾ cup liquid remains.
7. Puree the squash-apple mixture. Stir in reduced cider. Adjust salt, pepper, and sage to taste. Sprinkle each serving with a dash of paprika.